Assistant Head, Upper School
New York, NY
Job Title: Assistant Head, Upper School
Supervisor: Associate Head, Cooke School
Calendar to Follow: 12-month Administrative
Term: 12 Months
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
The goal of the Assistant Head of Schoolis to support the Cooke School (CS) instructional programs by working with staff to assist students in their personal, social, and academic development consistent with the goals, values, and mission of the Cooke School. Performance responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assumes responsibility with the Associate Head as an educational leader in the building
- Shares responsibility with the Associate Head for discipline and ensures consistent application of behavioral rules and is the primary contact for upper school parents
- Shares leadership with the Associate Head through reporting processes, faculty meetings, etc. and keeps staff informed of school-wide and agency goals
- Works with the Upper School Leadership Team to design activities and interventions consistent with the collaborative framework of the CS program
- Designs and implements current programs used in conjunction with CS curriculum that is guided by the NYS Core curriculum
- Shares responsibility with the Associate Head for the supervision of the staff
- Serves as point person for family communication
- Observes, evaluates, and provides ongoing feedback to the instructional team to ensure best practices in teaching
- Works with members of the school team to ensure the safety and well-being of students and staff
- Works with faculty and staff to be aware of the particular needs of the students in the building
- Participates in the process to recruit, screen, and interview and recommend new staff members for the Cooke School
- Participates in the design of a staff development plan
- Maintain a visible presence in all areas of the school
- Report to the Associate Head regarding general programs, activities, and any issues within the school
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Upper School, overseeing academic and clinical programming, monitoring student progress, coordinating the efforts of department chairs, etc.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the Associate Head of the Cooke School
- Master’s degree in related field
- 7 years minimum classroom teaching experience / direct service
- Strong foundation in educational leadership, supervisory experience
- Administrative experience preferred
- Expertise in the development and implementation of special education practices
Although not mandatory nor required there may be instances where staff will need assistance with students to ensure their safety.
• walk, run, sit, and stand
• move rapidly forward, backward, and laterally
• bend and stoop
• push, pull, and lift
All Cooke staff are responsible for developing a professional growth plan with their supervisor. Staff training is an integral part of the Cooke School and as such is a requirement of the job. All staff must at a minimum: attend all scheduled Staff Development activities throughout the year and participate in staff orientation scheduled for the last week in August.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy Statement
The Cooke School and Institute provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Cooke complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The Cooke School and Institute expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Cooke’s employees to perform their expected job duties is not tolerated.