Instructional Coach- Special Education
New York, NY
Level: Cooke Institute
Supervisor: Director of Cooke Institute
Hours: Per Diem
Calendar to Follow: 10-month Academic
Term: 10 months
The Cooke Institute, a division of the Cooke School and Institute, is dedicated to improving student outcomes through the professional growth of teachers. Cooke Institute is currently seeking Instructional Consultants to work onsite with teachers at our partner schools in the Bronx to develop and enhance inclusive based practices within general education classroom settings. Interested applicants must have at least three years experience coaching / mentoring teachers to implement best practices in inclusive education, and designing appropriate and differentiated instruction spanning elementary and middle school grades.
General professional responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Planning goals and action steps.
- Informal (focused) classroom observations.
- Modeling and coaching lessons during whole class, small group, and individual learning time using research-based instructional techniques that are differentiated to meet the needs of diverse learners, including students with an IEP.
- Demonstrating specific strategies, interventions and /or making appropriate accommodations to instruction and/or to the learning environment to help students with unique needs achieve successful outcomes.
- Mentoring in the use of formative and summative data to drive instruction that meet students’ needs.
- Debriefing, reflecting, sharing feedback on best practices and planning next steps.
- Assisting in the identification and implementation of classroom resources and materials to support differentiation.
- Supporting and revising classroom routines as needed.
- Providing methods to increase student engagement and maximize learning.
- Daily written reports to describe support given, and an extensive final report to summarize the activities conducted and evidence of the extent to which change occurred.
- Attendance at regularly scheduled Cooke Institute staff meeting.
*If you are a New York City Department of Education Teacher, your status with the DOE must be “inactive” for over 12 months to qualify for the contract work we have with the NYCDOE. *This position is part-time, effective immediately.
*We partner with schools throughout NYC, including Staten Island. Travel reimbursement is not included.
About the Cooke School and Institute: We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions shall be made without regard to an applicant’s race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or Federal law.
We require that you have your New York State Teaching certification. You must be authorized to work in the US and have fingerprints on file with the NYC Department of Education. When submitting your resume (MS Word or PDF format), please include your name and the position you’re interested in applying for in the subject line (for example, Lucy Carmichael – Special Education Consultant.