Instructional Consultant – Pre-K
The Cooke Institute, a division of the Cooke School and Institute, is seeking individuals with Pre-K special education expertise to consult in universal Pre-Kclassrooms in New York City. Interested applications must have experience coaching / mentoring teachers to implement best practices in early childhood education. Please note: if you are a New York City Department of Education Teacher, your status with the DOE must be “inactive” for over 12 months to qualify for the contract work we have with the NYCDOE. This position is part-time, effective for the 2019-2020 school year. Travel within the five boroughs is anticipated. Travel expenses are not included.
General Professional Responsibilities
- Modeling and coaching teachers through the use of developmentally appropriate best practices that meet the diverse cognitive, behavioral, and social emotional needs of young learners.
- Guiding principals and teachers in the use of screening tools, program assessment measures and data to set goals, modify or enhance learning environments, and plan appropriate learning experiences, interventions, and / or modifications that meets students’ needs.
- Observing teachers in their classrooms, providing meaningful feedback, proposing modifications, and suggesting interventions to serve the needs of all students.
- Providing a range of resources, materials, and models for improving classroom environments, instruction, and intervention strategies to improve behavior management that meet the needs of diverse learners in Pre-Kclassrooms.
- Conducting in-service trainings for teaching staff and school leadership to build capacity.
- Daily written coaching logs to describe support given, and an extensive final report to summarize the activities conducted and evidence of the extent to which change occurred.
- Attendance at regular meetings of Cooke School and Institute consultants.
Other Skills Required
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Docs
- Timeliness in submitting required reporting and paperwork
- Strong communication and organizational skills
About the Cooke School and Institute
We are an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Employment decisions shall be made without regard t an applicant’s race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or Federal law.
We require that you have your New York State Teaching certification. You must be authorized to work in the US and have fingerprints on file with the NYC Department of Education. When submitting your resume (MS Word or PDF format), please also include a brief cover letter.