Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
The Special Education Assistant Teacher is responsible for providing a meaningful and effective educational program for all students assigned a self-contained setting under the direct supervision of the Assistant Head. In this capacity it is expected that the Assistant Teacher will establish collaborative relationships with parents, students, and Cooke colleagues to insure successful classroom instruction. The Assistant Teacher’s responsibilities are as follows:
Instruction and Assessment
- Assist Head Teacher in presenting activities designed to enhance the healthy emotional, social, intellectual, and physical development of all students.
- Assist with the administration of initial and ongoing assessments.
- Assist with observations of students to determine their leaning style and needs in order to help modify and individualize instruction.
- Supervise student activities to ensure safety at all times.
- Help to develops Progress Reports consistent with the curriculum guides appropriate for the needs of their students.
- Assist in creating weekly lesson plans and activities.
- Utilize a variety of instructional strategies, materials and resources.
- Provide instruction or remediation in an engaging and interesting manner.
Planning and Record Keeping
- Assist in the planning and preparing of the learning environment, setting up interest centers and preparing needed materials and supplies.
- Participate in the development of Progress Reports.
- Maintain daily/weekly observations/anecdotals on each student, including descriptive records of class behaviors and interventions and examples of each students class work.
- Assist with establishment of portfolios for each student.
Classroom Organization and Management
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a daily program under the direction of the Head Teacher.
- Implement behavioral plans with integrity and consistency.
- Assist in creating and maintaining a nurturing, supportive environment.
- Assist with the management of student portfolios.
- Assist in organizing furniture, materials and resources in an inviting and safe manner.
General Professional Responsibilities
- Assume the responsibility of the Head Teacher when he/she is not present.
- Initiate and fosters good working relationship with head teacher, paraprofessionals, related service providers, and regular educators, and site administrators.
- Attend and participate in site and school wide meetings and training programs.
- Maintain a professional demeanor and appearance.
- Arrive at school and meetings promptly and be prepared for the days responsibilities.
- Demonstrate courtesy and support to students, colleagues, and administrators, and parents.
- Utilize supervisor for guidance, discussion, collaboration, professional and self-growth.
- Develop professional growth goals with supervisor and create and implement a plan to reach the agreed upon goals.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching experience preferred
Able to maintain the physical capacity required to navigate the school environment and to ensure the safety of the students; the ability to…
- walk, run, sit, and stand
- move rapidly forward, backward, and laterally
- bend and stoop
- push, pull, and lift
All Cooke staff are responsible for developing a professional growth plan with their supervisor. Staff training is an integral part of the Cooke school and as such is a requirement of the job. All staff must at a minimum: attend all scheduled Staff Development activities throughout the year and participate in staff orientation scheduled for the last week in August.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy Statement
The Cooke School and Institute provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Cooke complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
The Cooke School and Institute expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of the Cooke Center’s employees to perform their expected job duties is not tolerated.
When submitting your resume (MS Word or PDF format), please include your name and the position you’re interested in applying for in the subject line (for example, Anna Townsend –Assistant Teacher). Please send resumes to email@example.com.
|Calendar to Follow||10-month Academic|
|Supervisor||Division Head of SKILLs|
|Hours||8:15 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.|